Hearty Stuffed Bell Peppers
These stuffed bell peppers with microgreens are healthy and delicious. Best of all, they are easy to make and a great family meal!
· 2 tablespoons olive oil
· 1 cup microgreens of your choice
· 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
· 6 large bell peppers, any colour, tops removed, seeds & membranes removed
· 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
· 1 cup cooked brown or white rice
· 2 slices of grainy bread, crumbled
· 2 medium mushrooms, diced
· small zucchini, finely chopped
· 1 teaspoon dried basil
· 1 teaspoon dried oregano
· 400 ml can of tomato sauce
· salt and pepper to taste
· 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded or plant-based cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil and sauté the chopped onions and garlic and crumbled bread for several minutes until onions are a translucent colour. Add the microgreens, diced mushrooms, chopped zucchini, oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and tomato sauce. Cook for 2-3 minutes on medium heat. Remove from heat. Add the rice and mix to combine.
3. Take the bell peppers (with tops removed) and fill them with the rice mixture. Press down lightly with a spoon to ensure the rice mixture fills the inside of each pepper.
4. Arrange the stuffed peppers into a large baking dish. Put any left-over rice mixture on top of the peppers. Top with shredded cheddar cheese or plant-based cheese.
5. Bake uncovered for 40 minutes on the centre rack.
6. Top with fresh microgreens and serve.